Sustainability is a topic I’m interested in, and I got the chance to attend FOSDEM 2024. This seems like a great opportunity to do a quick summary of all the talks linked to sustainability in the Open Source world presented during the event!
By sustainability, I here mean the ecological sense of the term, in opposition to project growth as I saw it used that way in several abstracts.
Disclaimer: I was part of the audience for some of the talks listed below, but given the astronomic number of talks, I wasn’t there for all of them. Luckly, everything is recorded and available online.
If time allows, I’ll develop on the content of some of the talks, but that’s for another time.
- Firefox power profiling: a powerful visualization of web sustainability
- Web Accessibility and Environmental Sustainability and with Popular CMS
- What can digital open source projects do to reduce our environmental footprint
- Unveiling the Open Renewable Energy Systems (ORES) Initiative - Panel Discussion
- Energy optimisation: smart home meets smart district
- Can open source development drive energy transition? PyPSA-Earth experience
- How can Open-Source help the Wind Power industry?
- A journey accross the environmental materiality of digital services
- Using FlexMeasures to build a climate tech startup, in 15 minutes
- Power profiling my entire house with the Firefox Profiler
Finally, while I listed a lost of talks from the Energy: Reimagining this Ecosystem through Open Source devroom track above, the remainder of the talks of that room are worth having a look.